A passport card is a wallet-size document that you can use to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. It’s like a driver’s license for crossing borders. For U.S. citizens and residents, a passport card is an alternative to getting a passport book (which you need if you’re traveling outside the Western Hemisphere). You cannot use a passport card as your only proof of identity when entering any country by air.
How much does a passport card cost for adults?
The cost of a passport card will depend on your age and whether you are applying for the first time or renewing your existing one. The price is as follows:
- New adult cards: $55
- Renewing an existing adult card: $30
- New child cards (ages 15 and under): $40.
How much does a child’s passport card cost?
- Children under 16: $15.
- Infants under age 5, and children who are not eligible for a passport book: Free.
- Expedited service and additional fees apply to passport card applications submitted with expedited delivery service.
- Additional fees also apply for passports for people with disabilities and limited English proficiency, or for those who can’t read the language on which their own name is written in at least one printed language (such as Arabic script characters)
Do you need a passport to go to Mexico or Canada if you have a passport card?
It is possible to travel by land or sea with a passport card. If you are traveling by air, however, then the answer is no. While a passport card can be used for travel to Mexico and Canada by air, it cannot be used for those same countries when traveling by land or sea. The same applies if you’re traveling from the Caribbean, Bermuda, or Bahamas into other countries that don’t accept your US passport card as valid identification- how much travel document cost.
What are some of the drawbacks of using a passport card?
While a passport card is a convenient alternative to a passport book, there are some drawbacks to using it.
- Be aware that the border-crossing document you choose may not be as secure as your original passport. The Passport Card does not meet all international travel requirements because it does not have the same level of security features that are used in passports and other official travel documents. This means that customs agents may ask for additional documentation when inspecting your card at an international border crossing or during an immigration stopover.
- A passport card won’t allow you to fly internationally by air. While the U.S Passport Card is accepted when seeking admittance by land or sea into Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, the Caribbean region and South America (excluding Brazil), it’s not considered acceptable proof of identity needed when traveling on an airplane outside North America (including Central America). Therefore flying travelers must carry both their passport book and another form of photo ID such as military ID if they wish to use these products together during their trip abroad.
- If your plans include traveling by boat or train outside North America (including Central America), make sure that both options are available before making any purchase decisions about which type of traveler document will better meet those needs- how much travel document cost.
- If staying within one country only—and especially if traveling on foot—it might be more convenient just using cash instead since no identification papers would need carrying around everywhere with them at every moment anyway!
The cost for a passport card is considerably less than the cost for a regular passport.
A passport card is a wallet-sized card that you can use for travel between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and Caribbean nations. You may also need it if you plan to travel by land or sea to these areas from within the U.S.
The cost for a passport card is considerably less than the cost for a regular passport. Adult applicants pay $30 (the same as children) while adults apply for an adult passport when they pay $135 (the same as children).
If you want to travel to Canada or Mexico, a passport card might be the best option for you. It’s cheaper than getting a regular passport and has many of the same benefits. If your plans are more extensive, however, then you’ll probably want to get a more expensive passport book instead because there are some limitations on where it can be used.