A passport is one of the most important documents that you will carry with you. In fact, it is an identity card that allows you to travel to other countries. This document confirms your nationality and citizenship, and the validity of the document depends on your age.
How to apply for a passport
You can apply for a passport in person at any of the following:
- A passport office
- Your local police station
- Your nearest Garda station
If you are unable to apply in person, you may be able to use the services of a representative or an authorised witness. If they are submitting your application on your behalf, they will need to provide evidence of their authority to do so. This could be:
- A letter signed by you and addressed to the Passport Office which authorises them to act on your behalf; or
- An original copy of the deed poll (if applicable).
How much will it cost?
The passport fee is $110 if you’re 16 years or older, and $80 for children under 16.
- The passport card fee is $30 if you’re 16 years or older, and $15 for children under 16.
- Renewal fee is $110 (and an additional $60 if you need expedited processing), except that with a limited validity passport card renewal costs only $30 (and an additional $30 for expedited processing). If your name has changed since it was issued, you will be required to submit supporting documentation as part of the renewal process.
Urgent applications are available for people who need their passport urgently for a specific reason. For example, if you need to travel overseas and don’t want to risk missing your flight or cruise ship departure date, you may be eligible for an urgent application.
You must apply in person at a passport office and provide proof of travel (e.g., airline ticket or cruise ticket). You must also pay an additional fee for the urgent processing of your application.
Additional supporting documents may be required depending on the country. It’s important to check with your local embassy or consulate for a complete list of the documents you need to bring with you.
Here are some specific examples of what you might need:
- Passport photo
- Birth certificate
- Marriage certificate (if applicable)
- Divorce certificate (if applicable)
- Death certificate (if applicable)
- Driving license
- International driving license
- School certificate
- Military record/police clearance
You need to be aware of the latest fees before you start your application.
Your passport is a legal document that you need to travel abroad. A passport provides evidence of your identity and citizenship. It is the only document that can prove your identity and citizenship when traveling abroad, as well as allowing access into many countries around the world.
It’s also important to remember that passports are not issued by individual states or countries; passports are issued by government authorities such as embassies or ministries. When traveling internationally, there may be rules about what type of identification you must present at customs checkpoints in order for them to allow entry into another country. If a person does not have their valid passport on them (or if it has expired), they will likely be denied entry into another country without an official reason from authorities — even if they have other forms of identification on hand!
The answer to how much a travel document cost depends on what kind of travel document you need. For example, if you have an expired passport and need to renew it, it could cost anywhere from $60 to $140 depending on the type of passport you’re applying for and whether or not there are any other issues with your application.
If instead you’re looking for a new passport for someone else and don’t have any problems with their application (such as not having enough time before their trip), then the price will be around $55-$70 depending on how quickly they need it delivered.
If you’re traveling with minors who don’t have their own passports yet but plan on going abroad soon, you can still get them one by filling out Form DS-11 together with their parent(s).